Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Master of Research and Intralipids for Everyone

I am.  Yep, that's me. 

So, through all of this NK/Infertility nonsense, I have found that about 50% of what my doctor says is reliable, effective, or even true.  50%.  I now take pride in researching options, finding alternatives and disproving what he, the doctor, the guy who went to medical school and is making HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS off the souls of "infertile" women, recommends.  It may sound evil, but I've snapped.

After meeting with Dr. P last week and leaving the meeting in tears, not over the diagnosis, but because of the way he treated me with his snide comments and condescending tone, I came home and sank in to a depression.  Not only was this obviously going to physically break us, but we had no guarantee it would work.  Yes, intralipids are less expensive, but still, the course was not going to be cheap. 

His plan:

Retest NK levels: $340
Infuse, if elevated, at ET:  $750
IUI to "increase" our chances: $600
Infuse, if pregnant: $750
Infuse for the next 4-5 months (WITHOUT testing levels, mind you): $4000
Grand total: about $6500
And that's IF I got pregnant.  If not, I'm basically betting $1300 on sperm meeting the egg each month.  Maybe I'm nuts and maybe I'm just completely obsessed with and in denial of my diagnosis, but that's preposterous.

So, I went to work. 

Come to find out, you can do infusions through Walgreens for 60% less.  Yeah, 6-0.  You register through them (free), get the lab and test results from your doctor to them so they can confirm recommendations, they contact the doctor and obtain the referral (prescription), mix it, and infuse intravenously, all for...wait for it...$185(!!!!), including the IV and the nurse....at your house.  Your insurance could cover this and, most likely, unless you have someone other than BlueCrossBullShit, your IV will be covered, leaving you with a $75 bill.  $75.  I want to shout that from the mountaintops. 

So I can bypass my P.O.S. doctor and have professionals administer my medication at a mere fraction of the cost and hassle, and hopefully get a baby!  I thought it was too good to be true, but I gave them a line of questioning that left no room for error.  I don't know when I have been this happy.  Not only because the road may lead to motherhood, but because no more of my dollars will line the pockets of Dr. P.  Like I said, it may sound evil, but I'm sick of getting dicked around by this system.  It seems that diagnosis is secondary to a one-size-fits all treatment that just so happens to be the most expensive and physically costly way possible and I'm not getting on the assembly line. 

WOOHOO!

http://www.walgreensmail.com/wagclient/consumer/servicesandsupport

No comments:

Post a Comment