Thursday, March 3, 2011

"Have you been diagnosed?"

Well if that isn't the question of the day...

So, I got an appointment with yet another RE.  I don't care what people say, I know what I'm looking for and I am determined to find it.  So there.

This particular center has offices throughout the nation and are known for their "success" rates (Note: from now on, I am parenthesizing the word "success" because based on the reporting and how corrupt the fertility/infertility machine is, it's a farse that plays on women, their emotions, and their bank accounts).   They also do some very intersting studies on immunological disorders and how it relates to fertility.  In fact, they are the reason I even know that intralipid infusions even exsist, so I wanted to give them a shot.

Going in to this consult, I knew that I was most likely never going to go through IVF, but I was more armed and far more informed than I was with the last asshole RE, so I was ready to ask some specific questions and try to get some answers.  His staff was really nice, I will say that.  Interestingly enough, my insurance didn't want to cover my consultation with the doctor, even though it was a second opinion.  How do I know this?  I was disputing the $200 charge for the consultation with the receptionist and when I pointed out that it was just a meeting with the doctor, she asked me if I had been "diagnosed".  Now what the F does that mean?  No one has formally diagnosed me, I mean, my doctor hasn't even told me what I "have".  But apparently, once you have the infertility code/diagnosis on your record, you're not allowed to do, go, see what or who you want anymore.  That's cute.

I get all of that nonsense worked out and I finally see the doctor.  He is really nice, very friendly and wants to get right down to business (and, of course, I mean bu$ine$$). 

To review, the asshole RE's suggestion was to:
Infuse at ET
IUI
Infuse again 2 weeks after IUI
If pregnant, continue to infuse each month for the next 4-5 months
If not pregnant, repeat (of course)

This new guy completely unraveled that plan and wanted to go like this:
Infuse at ET
Micro IVF (along with bcp, Lupron/Lucifer, and Progesterone)
Infuse once HCG doubled
If pregnant, refer me back to my OBGYN as a healthy, not-at-risk pregnant person. 
If not pregnant, repeat (of course)

This is interesting to me for a number of reasons.  1) the fact that the plans differ so much. 2) the fact that the only reason I would undergo 4-5 months of infusions after BFP would be if I was a DQ Alpha match.  3)  I asked the first doctor if he would test me for the DQ but he said it wasn't neccessary, but apparently going ahead and doing them/charging me $700 a pop is. 4)  neither doctor, at any point in time, discussed a single side effect of any of the procedures, drugs, or injections that accompany the procedures.  Not one. 

I was also told that my diet wouldn't alter my NK activity a bit.  We'll just see about that.  When I talked to him about the awful pain I was in during January and February ovulations and 7-11dpo's, he told me that it is a proven scientific fact that women can have micro-miscarriages.  Meaning the egg fertilizes, travels, implants or tries to, but gets attacked before the test would show up.  I completely believe this happend to me in Feb.

I also completely believe that any doctor who preforms IVF is a salesman, plain and simple.  Not saying IVF is bad or that there haven't been hundreds of thousands of babies born through this miracle of science, but we don't have all of the information.  What are the side effects of Heparin injections and FSH?  What will happen to our bodies once we age?  No one, especially the professionals, is talking about this and that freaks me out.  I would never judge another person for doing what they want and believe they should do in order to have a baby, no way.  I personally just cannot jump in to this, uterus first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment